Courtesy, graciousness, good manners - call it what you want, the supply never seems to equal the demand. From beginning of time, many countries’ presidents politely communicated with other countries’ presidents to build a friendship with each other. In case after case the conflicts could have been overcome or might have arisen, if people involved had just treated one another with common courtesy and willingness to compromise. Do you usually treat others with courtesy or good manners? How do you communicate with others? I believe using courtesy and good manners will communicate with everybody more easily and will have more opportunity for better relationships.
George Washington once said “Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence”. I agree with his words. In my personal experience, my uncle who is in America picked me up in JFK airport in which it was the first time I ever met him. So I was worried about how I could communicate with him during my flight. To my surprise, when I met uncle, he was very kind and friendly and gave me a hug. He’s always smiling trying to communicate with me. I got his warm welcome, and became confidence to speak English with him. Now I am very comfortable to live with his family. However, if my uncle would have picked me up without courtesy, I would have had a lot of trouble on communicating with him and been uncomfortable with his family. So courtesy is the most important in communicate with another.
Confucius once said “When music and courtesy are better understood and appreciated, there will be no war”. Courtesy is very useful to communicate with another. Here is an example about a waiter and a customer in a restaurant. The customer came in to the restaurant and sat in a corner, and then waiter got the order from her. After 5 minutes, the waiter served her food and drink to her. After the waiter put dishes on the table, the customer was getting up to the restroom while he was putting a cup of coffee on the table. Accidentally the customer knocked off the coffee, and the coffee spilled over her expensive dress. The waiter quickly gave his apologies to the woman. But the woman was very kind and said with smile, “It’s ok. It’s ok……”. Good manners are no exception. We believe there would be an argument if the customer was not courtesy. I am sure that courtesy and good manners will solve many problems.
Finally, if you were a considerate person and accepted courtesy, you will be happy. “You reap what you plant”. To treat people with polite manners and courtesy, you will get their gracious treatment.
Monday, February 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment